Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Tainted Perfection

When I consider the big picture of the universe and science I see...
  • majesty and awe-inspiring beauty and coherence and intricacy from the macro to the micro
  • ample scientific and intuitive evidence (for me) of an extra-universe creator/designer
  • Lots of particulars evidencing imperfections and natural processes
When I consider the big picture of human beings I see...
  • a majestic and remarkable phenomenon, biologically, socially, intellectually, etc. "God-like" to some extent. A stamp of the "divine."
  • a remarkable likeness to the animal kingdom. A stamp of the "natural."
  • pervasive dysfunction. Something has gone wrong.
When I consider the big picture of the 66 books known as the bible I see...
  • grandeur, majesty, truth, revelation, a coherent story. "Inspired," if you will.
  • particulars evidencing contradictions, inaccuracies, cultural influences, human fingerprints
As an evangelical, I was allowed to believe that human beings were tainted perfection; I was allowed to believe in a universe that revealed God, but was marred; but when it came to the bible I was to see it as perfect and without taint, and to see it otherwise would obviate its ability to reveal meaningful truth about God.

Is it not possible to believe that the universe can reveal to us a lot about God without needing to be a perfect revelation? Is it not possible to believe that the bible can teach us a lot about God without needing to be a perfect revelation?

Oh, but once you give up the 100% verbal inspiration of the bible, and its necessary follow-on of inerrancy... you open the flood gates to liberalism, you start down the slippery slope toward atheism.

That may be true. But do we hang on to a belief that is not true in order to protect ourselves from falsehood?

This is a revolution going on in my own life right now. I have either believed unquestionably in the bible, or I have jettisoned it completely. I seem to be pulled in the third way lately... the bible "contains" truth.

This is at once liberating, exciting, challenging, and scary. It's a lot easier to just say it's all true, and then ignore or try to resolve the "apparent contradictions" and "apparent scientific inaccuracies." But in some ways I feel like I'm liberating God from the box he's been shoved into. I'm free to explore and discover who he really is!

This is where evangelicals will say it all goes wrong... because once you lose the bible as inerrant truth, you end up believing anything, or nothing.

That's a valid point. When people abandon the inerrancy of the scripture, they do tend to come up with some pretty whacky stuff! On the other hand, people who believe in the inerrancy of scripture have come up with lots of whacky stuff too.

The metaphor of forensics just came to me. For the most part, people described in the bible lived out their relationship to God existentially. The scriptures are the forensic evidence left over. An attempt to record God's dealing with man. Forensic evidence is often tainted. And it can be easily misinterpreted. But you can generally use it to help point you to truth. The truth is there. It is "perfect." The evidence you bring may not be perfect, even when it substantiates the truth. Some evidence is found to be unreliable, and needs to be chucked. Some evidence is incontrovertible. Is it possible that the bible is a huge collection of forensic evidence? Some incontrovertible, some imperfect but helpful, and some just not true? How does one determine?

The creation of the "canon," of course, was a human attempt to do just that... separate the reliable evidence from the unreliable. There's nothing wrong with that process, right? And to my knowledge, God never told us, "These are the 66 books that are to be believed; reject the rest." It was a human process. Some books made it, others didn't, and some were on the fringe. Each group tries to identify that which is reliable from that which isn't. And so, if you ask Jews, Catholics, protestants, Muslims, Mormons, Christian Scientists, etc., which books belong within the circle, they would all give you different lists. Heck, even Luther wanted to exclude the book of James! My point is that it is an inherently human process (although each group claims, of course, that it was a process superintended by God). Once the process is completed, you can admit that books outside the circle contain truth, or substantiate what the books inside the circle claim; however, you can't admit that the books inside the circle contain any error. This leads to a transition of belief about these books... Accepting what they say becomes a "matter of faith," no longer subject to intellectual scrutiny. What's up with that?? By accepting them on faith, what you are in effect doing is trusting a previous generation's intellectual scrutiny. And they may have never originally intended to mean that by including them within the circle they were affirming that everything within them was 100% true... but it is almost inevitably what happens with subsequent generations.

Sorting out the wheat from the chaff... It would be safe to say that the literary, textual, philosophical, and scientific criticism of the bible over the last few centuries has been an attempt to do just that. When you take off the inspired/inerrant goggles and examine the bible fairly, like you would any other book... it's pretty messy. Tainted perfection.

"For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” made his light shine in our hearts to give us the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ. But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us." (2 Corinthians 4)

Paul was certainly not referring to the scriptures in this passage, but I like the picture. The picture of us, being jars of clay, imperfect, human, cracked... but through whom the light of God shows through. Can we not view the scriptures that way? Like jars of clay? But through whom the glory of God shines through??

The question that remains, however, is not "Is all the evidence that has been brought to the table 100% reliable and inerrant?", but rather, "When you give proper weight and credit to each piece of evidence submitted, what truth does it point to?" To me, this is a much more fruitful question and process.

Let's stop deifying the bible!!

But in my tradition, to give up inerrancy is to give up God. So it's a scary proposition for me. I want to believe. (I identify with Mulder.) But I no longer want to idoloize the bible. It is grand, majestic, without equal. But it is tainted. As are we. Can't we just admit that?? I think the focus on inerrancy has caused way more heat than light; it clouds the issues. Maybe inerrancy was a doctrine cooked up by the devil to distract us??

I love truth. And since I was little, I've wanted nothing more than to know God, and the truth about God. (Whoops, I just slipped and typed dog by mistake. I'm not inerrant.) And, as I mentioned before, on this pursuit of truth, the truth about God, I have either accepted the bible carte blanche, or I have likewise set it aside carte blanche. And this time it's the middle way. I CAN'T set it aside. There's something real there. But neither can I accept it unquestioningly anymore. It's friggin' messy.

The biggest intellectual challenge I have with setting aside inerrancy is the bible's statements about itself. For example, when someone says, "I believe that Jesus was a great moral teacher," and you respond, "Yes, but he CLAIMED to be God. Was he wrong about that??", it is somewhat similar to me saying that the Scriptures contain very important truth about God, and someone responding, "But it CLAIMS to be Truth/the Word of God. Is it wrong about that??" It's a complicated problem, to be sure. You might say that once you dismiss inerrancy then what the bibles claims about itself becomes irrelevant; it's just circular reasoning. You might also say that in validating itself as the Word of God, it isn't necessarily making the case for inerrancy. However, you have to explain the following:
  • The gospels (including Jesus) and epistles refer to many events in the OT as literal, factual events... creation, adam, the flood, cain and abel, abraham/isaac/jacob, the exodus, sinai, david, etc. etc.
  • The NT says that Paul wrote that all scripture (referring to the old testament) is inspired by God and useful for, etc.
  • The NT says that Peter mentioned Paul's letters alongside of "other scriptures."
  • The gospels record Jesus rebuffing satan using scriptural quotations.
  • The gospels record Jesus saying "For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished." (Matthew 5:18)
  • The gospels record that Jesus often taught from the law, prophets, and writings... before and after his crucifixion/resurrection. It never mentions him saying, "Don't believe this part."
  • The Old Testament is replete with praise for the law, word of God, etc. (See Psalm 119). This would seem to be speaking primarily of the Pentateuch, or more specifically the covenant at Sinai. (This DOES seem to be an example of "idolizing the bible," in a sense.)
These are not easy data to explain. It does cause me to lose sleep. However, when forced to choose between the challenges of inerrancy and the challenges just mentioned, I choose the latter. The claim to inerrancy is such a grand claim that it demands equally grand proof; and I just don't think it's there. In fact, it only takes ONE disproof to take down the whole edifice. ONE.

I think it's possible to have a "high" view of scripture, without subscribing to inerrancy. And I suppose that is what I have been advocating for in this post... a high view of scripture. It is wonderful, life-giving, revealing, imperfect. It is like us. It is like the creation. The image of the divine all over it, with many natural/human fingerprints.

As an aside, those who take a low view of scripture will often say that Jesus was the only true, real, accurate expression of the divine "word." They then for certain need to have a low view of what the Scripture teaches about Jesus, for it paints him as one who had a high view of scripture!

So, I am being challenged to pursue God, the God of the bible, without the presupposition of inerrancy. It's tough. I would liken it to a devout Catholic who finally admits that the pope is not infallible. Can he continue to believe in the God taught about by the Catholic Church when he doesn't believe what the church teaches about itself? It's a dilemma. However, I believe he can come to the place where he says, "The church contains truth about God, but it is not 100% infallible in all things at all times." Likewise, I, must walk a more mature path.

The other thing I think I'm being called to is parallel tracks. In the past, when I have seriously studied theology, I have set aside my "personal" walk with God. I have always found it difficult to have a one-on-one "walk with God," when I am in the midst of authentically scrutinizing my beliefs. I mean, how do you talk to God, when you are questioning whether he is even there, or what he's about?? However, how can you claim to be pursuing the truth about God, when you have effectively banished him from your life? So, this time, I am seeking the both/and way... academically and intellectually pursuing truth about God, and devotionally seeking connection with God. It's a challenge!

In case you have not been steeped in inerrancy teaching, here is a summary of the doctrine, taken from the "Chicago Statement on Biblical Inerrancy." (http://www.bible-researcher.com/chicago1.html)

A Short Statement
[on biblical inerrancy]

1. God, who is Himself Truth and speaks truth only, has inspired Holy Scripture in order thereby to reveal Himself to lost mankind through Jesus Christ as Creator and Lord, Redeemer and Judge. Holy Scripture is God's witness to Himself.

2. Holy Scripture, being God's own Word, written by men prepared and superintended by His Spirit, is of infallible divine authority in all matters upon which it touches: it is to be believed, as God's instruction, in all that it affirms: obeyed, as God's command, in all that it requires; embraced, as God's pledge, in all that it promises.

3. The Holy Spirit, Scripture's divine Author, both authenticates it to us by His inward witness and opens our minds to understand its meaning.

4. Being wholly and verbally God-given, Scripture is without error or fault in all its teaching, no less in what it states about God's acts in creation, about the events of world history, and about its own literary origins under God, than in its witness to God's saving grace in individual lives.

5. The authority of Scripture is inescapably impaired if this total divine inerrancy is in any way limited or disregarded, or made relative to a view of truth contrary to the Bible's own; and such lapses bring serious loss to both the individual and the Church.


PS - Every time I write "inerrancy," blogger gives it a squiggly red underline, not recognizing the word. Damn liberals!

Wikipedia links

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like we're in a similar place. I am greatly challenged by no longer viewing scripture as inerrant. I'm working hard to continue to view it as somewhat divine, but it's really a challenge not to have an all or nothing approach! Have you read Peter Enns "Inspiration and Incarnation"? It addresses this issue as well as I've seen. I've also been thinking that I need to both pursue my questions while pursuing my relationship with God. That will not be easy as I'm challenged to pray these days. I'm looking into more mystical approaches than I have been use to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DoOrDoNOt,

    I have not read that, but I'll put it on my list!

    As far as my pursuit of a "realtionship" with God, what that means to me specifically is this. For the last several years, off and on, I have had written dialogues with God. I write out all my crap, then I write out what I think he is saying to me, and back and forth. I still don't know what I think of it all, but I am always surprised, and somewhat helped, when I'm done. At this point I am more tempted with doubts about this experience... that it's just the depraved imaginations of my sick mind.

    To me, it's got to be something like that. It can't be reading the bible. That just sends me in a tizzy. It's got to be more direct. And it has to have an element of God talking back. If not, how is there a relationship?? "God speaks to us through the bible." Yeah right. Such a cop out.

    As an aside, I've always wondered how god "talked" to people in the bible. It never says how; it just states that he did. (Sometimes it does specify that it was an audible voice, but not usually.) If a video recorder were going, what would it capture? Seems like a major religious theme that is never explained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good question about how God spoke to others in the Bible. I've never had any experience like that, so I confess I'm always skeptical, even before I became such as skeptic. How do we differentiate God from our own wishful thinking, or hallucinations, or "a bit of undigested cheese"? On the one hand, I think maybe neuroscience has all the answers. On the other hand, maybe the fact that so many people report religious experiences means there's something there. Regarding your writing, I've never seen someone not benefit from writing their thoughts. Regardless of why it works, it seems to help you, so I hope you won't chalk it up to "depraved imaginations." We don't always need to know why something works in order to do it. Maybe I'll try it myself. I've written prayers but never written back what I think God is saying. I might enjoy writing what I'd like him to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you could join the emergent church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cerbaz

    I might join the emergent church if I knew what the hell it was. Then again, they don't know what they are either... So far I haven't gotten a good handle on what they're about except they're supposedly not evangelical or liberal. I listened to one of their conferences where they had Caputo speak and they talked a lot about Deridas... I don't know, it seemed like a lot of gobbley gook to me. I listen to philosophers talk about how nothing is real and we can't know or communicate anything and then we all leave and get in real cars and read and understand highway signs and read and understand menus and communicate our orders sufficiently... I don't know. It just seems foolish to me. (And I don't mean "foolish" in the biblical sense.)

    DoOrDoNot

    Sorry for the long delay... I want to say that when I write what I think God is saying back to me I intentionally try NOT to write what I'd LIKE him to say. I just write the thoughts as they come to me in the moment. It's kind of hard to explain, but it's definitely more right-brain than left-brain. There's a guy who's written a lot about it. I had not read his book until I was already practicing it, but if felt very familiar. Here's a link to the book, Dialogue with God, by Mark Virkler. http://www.amazon.com/Dialogue-God-Mark-Virkler/dp/0882706209/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpi_3

    Here is an excerpt from MY journal some time back...

    ***

    You know how long I have been looking to understand You... and Truth... and Reality.

    Many others have been looking, too. And so many different results.

    What is of human origin, what is deception, and what is you? Jehovah? It's really hard! :(

    Please help me, in Jesus' name I ask... please help me to know what is from you. Discernment, God. Please...

    No, I don't deserve it. But I need it. And I'm asking for it. Please."

    ***

    I hear you. To know me in this life is not very easy. You must look through a cloudy window. And sometimes you see shapes and images that play tricks on your mind and spirit.

    And yes, sometimes the enemy tries to get you to see things that look like me, and gets your hopes up, leading you down the wrong path.

    It is hard.

    But he who seeks me shall find me. Patience, perserverance, discernment, humility, integrity, fellow believers, and my special, wonderful Spirit... these will all be aids in your quest.

    One day you will know me fully. Your great dream will be realized. But not in this life. Not in this life.

    Be patient. The "hope" lies before you. Don't give up... Never give up.

    And relax. There is only so much you can do. Rest in me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can relate...the questions seemed to keep coming, and I didn't understand what was happening to me. It did feel like it was happening to me, rather than me choosing to question. Reading some of the mystics like Madame Guyon helped my understanding at the time, but I ran across this excerpt written by M. Scott Peck on the Stages of Spiritual Growth since then. I have found it to be so helpful! One of the stages of growth is skeptic...You may already be aware of this info, and if so I apologize. But here is the link if you are interested: http://www.integrativespirituality.org/postnuke/html/index.php?name=Sections&req=viewarticle&artid=312&page=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mae,

    I read Peck's article.

    I heard him speak 20 years ago. I was with several other evangelicals. Peck talked about how he read the gospels and "fell in love with Jesus." Afterwards, I remarked to the group, "How many Christians can really say that??"

    Stages.... I've always been a person that has liked human growth and development stages... psychological, intellectual, etc. I stumbled across Fowler in seminary 15 years ago and totally got it. However, I was nervous about his stage 6 (like Peck's stage 4), in that it seemed to be sooo loose... It certainly didn't seem to fit with the bible's exclusivity claims.

    I hit the stage of skepticism/agnosticism very hard about 12 years ago, but after a few years, and in the midst of deep personal crisis I think I slipped back to stage 2... certainty. Now I feel like I'm being pulled... dragged kicking and screaming... back into the agnostic/mystery stage. I didn't think I'd be back here again.

    I wonder if it will turn out differently this time? Will I "ascend" to stage 4, or fall back to stage 2.

    I have always been such a lover of truth, it's difficult for me to accept that my quest for it may remain elusive...

    And I still want the christian truth claims to be true, in a way that the other religion's truth claims aren't.

    And how can you avoid the incessant warnings in both the old and new testament about following other gods. It's a pretty big deal. Can I ignore all that??? Is god not really a jealous god?

    sigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. My heart goes out to you - It’s SUCH a difficult place you’re in! And to go through it TWICE – I can’t imagine! But, at least you’re aware of what’s happening to you :-) that’s a big plus! I wasn’t, and I think that made the journey even more difficult.

    Adding to the difficulty, in my opinion, is that the churches seem stuck at stage 2, and so there is no place in the churches where people are allowed to ask questions. Not only do we have all these questions, but there’s no safe place to ask them - we have people all around us who think we’re falling into heresy. It makes a scary place even scarier! I thought I was crazy at first, and was the only one who had thoughts like I was having. Thank God for the internet – I found other crazies there. And I think that’s what the emergent folk are doing – they don’t claim to have all the answers, but they’re making a place for people to feel free to ask questions. (I don’t know any of them personally because I live in a VERY fundamental area.) As for the teaching that the world isn’t real (or an illusion), it took me a long time to understand that they’re saying however much the ground beneath our feet and the sky above our heads is real, the physical is not all there is to reality. We truly do not see the big picture, but through a glass darkly.

    I think the challenge is if we dare to question, if what we have known is not true, then what are we left with? Nothing? It sure feels that way…I don’t claim to have all the answers, I’m still very much in transition myself. But I came to a place where I stopped resisting the questions. I can remember thinking, “I’m just gooooing…” And everything as I had known it did crumble. But I have been very fortunate that in this “new place” I’ve found a greater faith; a greater certainty. One thing I realized is that all the denominations, all the religions, have seen a piece of the truth. They describe what they have seen using widely varied terminology, but they are all pointing to the same Reality.

    Sorry to make such a long comment – there’s just so much I’d like to say to you! But, quoting from the last update at my website (in which I felt I was “coming out”):

    “…seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds; And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him: Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free: but Christ is all, and in all” (Col 3:9-11).

    Previously, I looked at these verses as meaning that when “they” all come into Christ, there will be no more divisions. Now I have seen that it is when “I” shed the old man (a.k.a. carnal mind, ego) and come into renewed knowledge, this is a place where “I” see there ARE no divisions – only unity in diversity. Where I can look with renewed perspective and see there is no Barbarian, Scythian, Buddhist, Hindu, etc. but that Christ IS all and is IN ALL.

    The ramifications of these insights are enormous and have led me many new places, which I hope to write more about if I can even find words to express the wonder of it. Although mine has been a journey into a greater knowledge of the Love of God, many will view it as a journey from orthodoxy into heresy. So be it. The journey is scary, but onward I must go. The Lord has torn down my reliance on many commonly-held views and continued to abolish so many traditional assumptions of truth in my life until I felt I stood all alone. Now, my circle of inclusiveness has been expanded into yet another new place. A large place that includes all and where I can love all because they are just on a different place on this journey; a place where I can let others be free to be where they are, yet not allow them to tie me in any one place, for I am free to follow. I must follow, or I will die – for to follow is Life itself.

    Blessings on your journey, my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mae

    Thanks for your kind words.

    Although it's possible for me to believe theoretically that all religions are "equal" and have found "pieces of the truth," I'm a long way from believing that the bible teaches that.

    In my view, having read and wrestled with the scriptures for almost 50 years I see specific, particular, and exclusive. In the OT you have the MAJOR theme of God emphasizing that HE is God, and they are to worship no other. It's pretty much what the whole OT is about. In the gospels you have Jesus ministering almost exclusively to the Jews. In the epistles you have Paul ministering to the non-Jews... but his message is, "You can now be grafted in to this exclusive club through faith in Jesus (and no one else)." When he said that there is no barbarian, scythian, etc., he was referring to believers in Jesus. All those who have faith in Jesus are "one." He never taught that believers in Jesus and non-believers in Jesus are one.

    So, although unitarian/universalist/new age/metaphysical philosophies may or may not be true, to claim they're taught or supported in the hebrew/christian bible is quite a stretch, from what I can see. I don't think you would ever come to that belief from reading the bible. I think you have to have that belief first, and then try to read it back into the bible. Believe me, I wish it did teach that stuff. It would make it all a lot easier to wrestle with.

    Then again, I could be all wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m sorry. After reading your post, I assumed you no longer believed in the inerrancy of the Bible. Re-reading your post, I do see it’s still quite a struggle for you. I’m a former fundie who was steeped in inerrancy, so I can relate and I respect your struggle. I imagine you’ve done quite a bit of reading on this topic in your search for the truth, so I won’t point you to any more resources. My own take (for now) is that ancient people experienced God and communicated their experience to the best of their ability. Tribal peoples interpreted God according to their stage of development, and that’s where we get the picture of God the OT presents. And likewise in the NT…two thousand years ago, people were still pretty primitive. Of course today our understanding remains limited and our attempts to communicate about God and the nature of Reality still fall far short.

    From what I see, Jesus was always including the Gentiles, the outsiders, foreigners, prostitutes, drunkards, the tax collectors, the Roman centurion, lepers, and women including the Syrophenician woman and the Samaritan woman at the well. So he seems pretty inclusive to me. The ones he really had a problem with were those religious Jews.

    And actually, I did arrive where I am now by reading the Bible – it was the only authority I would accept at the time. It’s hidden there in plain sight. I couldn’t see it until I saw it and once I saw it, well, there’s no unseeing it. But when we get right down to it, just about anything can be proved from the Bible – that’s why Christians to this day have so much disagreement about so many things.

    Wishing you blessings on your journey!

    ReplyDelete