Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I want to believe

I loved the X-files when it was on.

One of the interesting dialectics was the difference in approach to mystery between Mulder and Scully. Scully was the perennial scientist/skeptic, always believing that a rational explanation could be found. Mulder, on the other hand, was always open to the supernatural, otherworldly, irrational explanation. (And we all know who was right!!)

Although I admire people like Scully, at heart I'm a Mulder. I WANT to believe in the unseen, the supernatural, the REALLY big picture. Ultimate reality.

That's why when I enter a significant period of doubt, when the foundations of my supernatural worldview are being shaken to the core, it's horrible. I hate it. I despise it. I don't like it. It's unwanted and unwelcome. It's nothing I've asked or wished for. It's alien and foreign to my very being.

Must be the devil.

2 comments:

  1. Did you see this?

    http://undeception.com/i-want-to-believe/

    ReplyDelete
  2. childlike

    no, i had not seen that.

    i don't think everyone is like me, by the way. I think there are both mulders and scullys in the world. my son, for example, could care less about any of this stuff. He has no "need" to believe.

    ReplyDelete