Friday, March 18, 2011

Snake Oil


My friend kept bugging me to go this place to get free massages, so I finally went.

The massage was good. They put you on a bed and it sends hot rollers up and down your spine for 40 minutes.

(Stay with me... There will be theological implications!)

For almost the whole time the dude there told me about all the wonderful products they have there to heal just about anything. One that particularly got my interest was the "Foot Detox."

I had seen large signs out front showing pictures of a foot bath that had started out as "clear water" and that had become a disgustingly colored mass of something. The promise was that it would draw the toxins out of your body through some kind of ionic osmosis.

Who wouldn't want to rid their body of toxins?? I was all for it. Plus, I wanted to see this amazing change in the water that would come from all the gunk in my body. I was intrigued. I asked him specifically what toxins it would draw out, and he was like, "You know, all the stuff we breathe and eat."

Part of me thought I should go home and do some research first, but I sprung for the $30 to see for myself what this was all about.

I sat in a chair and put my feet in the clear water. He hooked up some kind of electrode to my wrist. And then he put an "array" in the water. It was some kind of coil, attached to a cord that was plugged back into the detoxification machine.

He told me to sit still, and try not to move my feet. Then he turned it on.

Within seconds I could see the water starting to change color, particularly around the array. He said, "It's orange, which means it's starting by pulling the toxins from your joints."

As I sat there I read the pamphlet they had about it. One side showed about 8 different colors, and what each of those colors meant... each one representing a different part of the body or medical condition being treated.

The color in the water became darker, and shifted from one color to another to another. With each color change I checked the chart... yup, I have immune problems, muscle problems, obesity, etc. I started to believe. How does it know that's the problems I have?? The dude would come over periodically and look at the colored water and exclain, "That's so cool, isn't it?"

By the end of the 40 minutes it was a dark brown/black mess, with lots of particles floating around. He took out the array, took the strap off my arm, took my feet out of the water, one at a time, cleaned them off (from all that gunk), and massaged them with lotion (part of the "service").

He told me to pay attention to how I felt the rest of the day, and I left, hopeful.

Of course, in the skeptical phase I'm in right now, I went home and immediately jumped on the internet to do the research I should have done before shelling out the bucks. I quickly found out that this is a scam... This site explains that the discoloration and gunk is rust that happens quickly when the current reacts with the salt water and iron in the array. If I had taken a sample of the water with me and had it analyzed I would have gotten water, salt, and iron.

Stay with me.

If I had been less skeptical, I might have remained fairly amazed at the experience, begun to tell my friends about it, and begun looking for any improvement to my health. I would have begun budgeting for how many treatments I could get, since they recommend a treatment every other day for the first month. Or, I would have taken the plunge and spent $270 for the machine so I could do it at home. Wouldn't it be smart to save money, be able to use it for years, and let my family get the benefits as well?

The longer I invested in the experience, the more likely I would have been to find some positive health benefits. I would have joined the community of other true believers who had gone to Ceragem and experienced the miracle of foot detox. Our positive anecdotes would have reinforced each other's belief in this wondrous treatment. We would be the "in club," we would "get it." I would be grateful for having found something so amazing, that not even my doctor knew about.

I would have looked askance at anyone or anything suggesting that this had no scientific basis, and was nothing but snake oil and sugar pills. "They don't know, like I know. If they would only try it, they would believe." If I did have doubts from time to time, I would fight those doubts... "I've already invested so much money. I've already told my friends how great it is. I'll be embarrassed." I would look for anecdotal stories to confirm my belief that this works and is worth the investment. I would try to have "faith," and keep a positive mental attitude about it. I WANT to believe. I WANT to get the toxins out of my body. It MUST get rid of at least SOME toxins. I DO feel better. The people at Ceragem are SO nice. And, by golly, look at that colored water!!! You can't deny that.

As disconcerting as it may be to think about, is this not way too much like religious faith and church?

10 comments:

  1. Sounds about right to me! At times it seems as though it is all placebo effect, smoke and mirrors. A magician has nothing on religion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. D'ma

    For some reason that makes me think of a quote I heard somewhere along the way that "highly advanced technology" and "supernatural" at some point become synonymous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember whose blog I was reading that linked to your blog, but I like this article a lot. I've been around the "Christian block" for over 40 years and it is amazing to me what people buy. If anything it seems being Christian somehow makes people more gullible than suspicious of what even the Gospel and Paul warn us about: lying wonders and false "miracles". Everyone seems to be wow-ed by tongues and healings but where did the gift of discernment of spirits go and would anyone be wow-ed if someone actually exercised it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve,

    Thanks for the kind words.

    There is such a strong sociological element at work... of propping up and supporting the group-think. Every piece of data is weighed and interpreted and spun to make it fit into the orthodoxy of the moment.

    I, for one, would be wowed if I actually saw one miracle, not just random experiences that are glorified as miracles. And I've been around Christians and prayer most of my 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. EI, You and me both. "Random experiences glorified as miracles"... BINGO! I recently did a podcast on my skepticism of miracles within the Orthodox Church and got a ton of email from people who basically said, "WHEW... I thought I was the only one..." Group-think and the sociological pressure to, if nothing else, shut up and not voice your skepticism is a tough river to swim upstream in. (Shameless self-promo:
    http://ancientfaith.com/podcasts/stevethebuilder/miracles_or_deceptions
    BTW, I like your archives, I'll be spending some time here it seems. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Steve,

    I listened to that podcast. After having heard it, I have a few comments.

    1) Your thoughts blow mine away, so I'm pretty blessed that you like my little blog of miscellaneous doubt ramblings. I'll subscribe to the podcast.

    2) MacNutt!! Believe it or not, in a last ditch attempt to salvage my faith and my mental health I went to the source... Christian Healing Ministries! (MacNutt's place). I went several times recently, in deep anguish, and had prayer, generational curses broken, holy oil, soaking prayer, etc. I can't say that anything happened, which actually served to further my unbelief. Or then again, was it my unbelief that prevented anything from happening?? Chicken and egg.

    3) In my last excursion into unbelief, 15 years ago, I became involved with spiritualism. Why? I was hungry for God, yet the bible and evangelicalism left me wanting. In my agnosticism and despair I stumbled into spiritualism. It was SOO heart-warming. I began to believe that there WAS another world, a supernatural. That felt so good. I experienced more true "spirituality" there than I had in any church, by that, meaning, "direct connection with the other side." I tried hard to put aside my evangelical misgivings. They even tried to show that it was nothing more than the gifts of knowledge and prophecy talked about in the New Testament. (Believe it or not, the spiritualist church I went to was in Salem, Mass!) After some time, I bumped into a charismatic christian woman who "prophesied" over me, and the light went on... so YES... Even Christianity can be like that. Finally all the pieces came together. I dived headlong into charismaticism. Long story short... I'm skeptical now of much of both my spiritualist and charismatic experience. It was too hit and miss. Some things seemed to be freakily on target, and other things blatantly off target. So, eventually you get into the whole spin and reinterpretation cycle, and you never know what you can truly trust.

    ReplyDelete
  7. EI, Wow... If I wasn't such a skeptic I'd say the Holy Spirit led me to your blog. LOL!
    Seriously, my friend "Joe" (the guy I mentioned and there's a podcast about him on StB) was a seeker and was involved in all kinds of new age spiritualities etc. He got burned by it when a New Age friend of his invited him to a seminar with "the most loving, spiritual person on earth". A week later she told him that she had to ask him not to come to the meeting because the speaker said his skepticism would "mess up the energy" of the seminar.

    I suppose in some ways I'm grateful for my "Jesus Movement" days because it made me suspicious of my feelings. There was a lot of "love" in 1969 going around, and I figured out that in many ways the "Jesus freaks" were just a non-sexual (but still passionate) permutation of "Free Love". It has taken me another 40+ years to really be suspicious of my "feelings" in a way that I hope is balanced. I want to be open to God but not gullible and open to deception. In my mind God will have mercy on doubt ("I believe, help me in my unbelief!"), but unwillingness to question "personal spiritual experiences" and our delusions is a harder thing to cure because we are sold on them. One of the things I found comforting in the writings of the ancient desert Fathers is basically that God will honor skepticism more than uncritical acceptance of all "spiritual experiences" as from Him.

    Anyway, it's late here. I'm glad we've connected however it happened. If you'd rather converse outside the combox, email me anytime at stevenpaul4 at cox dot net

    ReplyDelete
  8. May I suggest you both read "Why People Believe Weird Things," by Michael Shermer and "Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Annie,

    They sound like interesting books!

    ReplyDelete